Our Mission Statement
Choptank Electric Cooperative exists to provide reliable and cost
effective electricity that improves the quality of life for our
member-owners. We are committed to service excellence guided by the
Seven Cooperative Principles.
What are the Seven Cooperative Principles?
- Voluntary And Open Membership: Membership in a cooperative
is available to all who can reasonably use its services, regardless
of race, religion, sex, or economic circumstances.
- Democratic Member Control: Co-ops are democratically
controlled, with each member having one vote. As a result, control
remains in the hands of all customers. Directors are elected from
- Members' Economic Participation: Cooperatives provide
services "at cost" and remain not-for-profit regardless of the
value of benefits delivered. Any money left over after all expenses
are paid-margins-belongs to the members. Each member's share in the
margin is determined by the amount of his or her use of the co-op's
- Autonomy and Independence: Cooperatives are self-sustaining,
self-help organizations controlled by their members. If cooperatives
enter into agreements with others or raise money from outside
sources, they do so on terms that maintain democratic control as
well as their unique identity.
- Education, Training, and Information: Keeping members,
directors, managers, and employees up to date on issues so they can
effectively govern the co-op. Communication, particularly with
young members and opinion leaders, helps generate necessary public
support for cooperatives.
- Cooperation Among Cooperatives: Mutual support helps
cooperatives improve services, bolster local economies, and deal
more effectively with social and community needs.
- Concern For Community: Cooperatives develop communities with
programs supported by the membership.
Choptank Electric Cooperative, Inc., P.O. Box 430, Denton MD 21629
Toll Free: 877-892-0001