Scholarship Information, Guidelines, and Dates
This $2,000 scholarship is awarded by the Choptank Electric Trust to seven worthy college students every May.
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a high school or home school senior
- Be a member or employee of Choptank Electric Cooperative
- Enter a post high school educational institution as a freshman in the fall of the year
Recipients are chosen based on a competitive screening process and are selected based on:
- Financial need
- Academic achievement
- Extracurricular and community activities
- Reference letters are required. Letters may be from school administrators, teachers, civic leaders, clergy or neighbors. Please limit to three references. Letters may not be submitted from relatives.
- Personal essay
The scholarship funds are sent directly to the educational institution the student will attend.
The required essay should be limited to two typed, double-spaced pages on the following topic: "Why I have chosen to pursue a higher education degree and how this scholarship will assist me."
Please provide a cover page with your name, address and home telephone. Do not place your name on any other page of the essay.
- Trust Scholarship Form (Available next year)
All sections of the Trust Scholarship Form, required documents, and the essay as outlined on the "Write an Essay" section, must be sent by the deadline. Please note that the guidance counselor form must be completed by your guidance counselor or other appropriate school official.
**All documents (including the essay) must be mailed as a single package.
***Thank you for participating. Updated information for 2020 coming soon.
Submit this form along with your official sealed transcript of grades and essay by the deadline to:
Choptank Electric Trust Scholarship,
Attn: Laurie Bireley
P.O. Box 426
Denton MD 21629
Please note: Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Choptank Electric awards ten (10) $1,000 educational scholarships at the close of its annual meeting.
To be eligible for this scholarship, the following provisions will govern the acceptance of applicants from Choptank Electric Cooperative members:
- The applicant must Be a graduating high school senior OR a co-op member.
- The student must be enrolled OR planning to enroll at an accredited two or four year college, university, or a technical school for the fall term of that year.
- If a student is applying, the student must be a dependent or legal ward of an active Choptank Electric member.
- Both student & parent(s)/legal guardian must be present at the end of the Annual Meeting to win.
- Winners of prior years’ scholarship are not eligible to participate.
- Employees and dependents of Choptank Electric who are members, and Board of Directors and their dependents are not eligible to participate.
- The active member must be registered and student must be checked-in by 6 P.M.
Those who submit their application successfully will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours. If you DO NOT receive a confirmation email within 24 hours, please contact the Member Service department at 1-877-892-0001.
To be eligible for this scholarship, the application must be filled out completely and submitted to Beth Gertsch via email or by pressing the "submit" button on the form. You may also drop off at our office in Denton or Salisbury.
***Thank you for participating. Updated information for 2020 coming soon!
***A confirmation email will be sent when we have received the application AND a phone call will be made to confirm completion of the application.***
Luck Of The Draw Scholarship Application (Available next year)
This $1,000 scholarship is awarded by the Virginia, Maryland & Delaware Association of Electric Cooperatives’ (VMDAEC) Education Scholarship Foundation Board to students every May.
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a high school or home school senior graduating in the Spring of 2019
- Be entering his or her first semester at a college or technical/trade school in the fall of 2019
- Have parents or guardians are consumer-members of Choptank Electric Cooperative
- Location of service is primary residence
- Use of scholarship must be used towards tuition, student fees, room and board or textbooks.
Recipients are selected based on:
- Financial need at 40%
- Academic achievement at 40%
- Personal statement at 20%
Thank you for participating. Standby for 2020 instructions soon! Preference will be given to applicants who indicate a planned career as a line worker.